2 bunches red beets
3/4 lb red potatoes
1 large yellow onion
4 cups vegetarian broth
1 plum tomato (seeded)
3 cups green cabbage (shredded finely)
1/4 cup fresh dill, with extra reserved for garnish
1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
Lemon wedges for garnish
Non-Fat Greek yogurt, optional (I always use this instead of sour cream, but you can use whichever you like… or not at all)
1. Remove tops from and peel beets. If the beets are larger than two inches, halve them.
2. In the following order place beets, potato, onion, tomato, and broth into the crockpot.
3. Cook on high heat for 4 hours or low heat for 8 hours.
4. Using a blender or food processor, blend the soup until smooth. Please do this in small batches and take care not to burn yourself. The soup will be quite hot. Put the processed soup back into the crockpot and mix in the cabbage.
5. Cook in the crockpot on high for an additional 45 minutes.
6. Add the 1/4 cup dill, red wine vinegar and lemon juice.
7. Serve with a dollop of the non-fat Greek yogurt and a sprig of dill.