Once a week I like to take a detour from my morning smoothie.
100% Buckwheat pancakes are my special, weekly treat. But buckwheat is by no means a junk food. According to whfoods.org, It contains all eight essential amino acids, including lysine, and tons of fiber!
1 1/2 cups buckwheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 T. olive oil
2 cups buttermilk (I never have buttermilk on hand so I just squeeze the juice of one lemon and top off with milk to 2 cups.)
- Heat the pan on medium heat.
- Mix the dry ingredients with a whisk.
- Slowly mix in the oil and buttermilk — DO NOT overmix! Some lumps are ok!
- Oil the hot pan and ladle the batter onto it in whatever formation you desire.
- The pancake should be done after 2-3 minutes. My Poppie’s trick was to flip the pancake when you could see bubbles on the surface.
- Serve plain, with butter and maple syrup, plain yogurt and syrup, fruit, or whatever you are craving! Be sure to keep hydrated as these are high-fiber and “cleansing.”